Elder Echols

Elder Echols

Monday, September 5, 2016

Week 3: Still in the MTC. That's ok though ;)

Elder Echols with the Polski Missionaries
September 3, 2016


Hello friends and family!

Here's a long one. One fun thing this week was that there was a girl from Hawaii outside at lunch with those white ball things on the strings that they spin around, and a Polish elder dared me to go ask to try. She had an extra set, so I did it. The whole zone was laughing, since I kept hitting myself in the face. It was super fun.

Elder Leach and I on p-day
 Elder Leach and myself taught the priesthood lesson on Sunday, and it was a great discussion. I know the Book of Mormon is true, and that it can bless lives. During sacrament meeting, Sister Hall from our district sang "Savior, Redeemer" from the movie 17 miracles. You should look up the song if you haven't heard it. It talks about how wonderful it is that Christ would save us.

On Sunday and Monday, Elder Isom was pretty sick. We did some exchanges. I included one here when I was on exchanges with Elder Crapo. I got my turn to stay back at the residence hall with him, and I took a big nap. that was nice.

Elder Crapo and I on exchanges while Elder Isom was sick
 At the start of this week, I was hitting a bit of a wall in terms of learning Croatian. But, I talked with some other elders, prayed about it, and then got past the wall. Miracles happen.

Learning Croatian is hard at times, but prayer and faith help us move forward
Sometimes you just need a little cat nap to move forward with your language studies
 Here's a video of the elders in my district singing "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam" in Croatian:


This week we started on our second investigator, Jadranka (who is actually our teacher, sister Vukorepa). Elder Leach and I are getting a lot better at teaching lessons (which are 100% in Croatian, btw). We're also getting a lot better at Handball. I finally got some photos. Elder Theriault, going to poland, is killer at it (and 4-square).

Here's me playing Australian Handball with some other Elders
Here's a video of some of the Elders and Sisters playing the game:

 
One day this week we tried having a language fast (speak only Croatian all day). we got to lunch really well, but then people gave up. It was cool while it lasted. I love Croatian grammar, but it's super weird. You often have to plan your whole sentence before you start talking such that words which come at the end of an English sentence can fit into the start of your Croatian sentence. I'm also getting pretty good at reading Serbian, practicing on my own.

The Book of Mormon in English (top) and Serbian (bottom)
I found that Elder Hammer from the zone had a Rubik's cube that he inherited from an old Polski elder. he gave it to me. I'll pass it along when I leave the MTC. When I first found that he had it, I started solving it and blew his mind. It was pretty funny how much he was flipping out. There's a guy from around the corner that can solve it in about 14 seconds though, rather than my 20.

This week we also got to do some TRC (teaching members of the church; still in Croatian, or maybe Serbian). And, this morning we went to the temple. I love the temple. And we had breakfast in the cafeteria. so good. and it was only $4 for me. Sometimes the food here in the MTC can get kinda old. It's ok though.

Here's a blurry picture of the MTC lunchroom. You can see me on the far left side!
BTW, DearElders are the best, even if they're short.

Also, this next week we'll be hosting new missionaries! (Trevor and Zach, that means there's a slim chance I'll get to show you around when you first arrive!!)

Me and my two best friends from Cincinnati: Zachary Ralph and Trevor Peterson. Both Zachary and Trevor are reporting to the MTC this week, on Wednesday September 7th, when I get to be a host!
Your domaća this week is to read Alma 36. It's Alma the younger telling his story of redemption. The Atonement is real, and Christ can help you.

Elder Ryan Echols
OCT18 ADRTCN
2005 N 900 E Unit 232
Provo UT 84602



No comments:

Post a Comment