Elder Echols

Elder Echols

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Week 106: 100%! Another Baptism! and Packing...



Hello everyone! You may or may not have been expecting an email from me today, but if you're reading this, then that means you definitely received one! Haha. So here's the rundown so far.

Last Monday after emailing I tried to do a little bit of packing, but it was more of just sorting my stuff into what I could leave behind and what I needed to take home with me. After that, for one last fun P-day activity, we did an escape room! I really like escape rooms.

As for Tuesday, the day started off with going to the church with Elder Nield and taking care of some more business-y stuff, and then Elder Bird and I drove to Belgrade to start another exchange! We got there, found the Zone Leaders (Elders Bradshaw and McNeil), and did a little switch so that I was then with Elder McNeil. He and I went to a place there where they do service each week. It's a center for people with mental disabilities, and we just spent some time with them, which was great. From there, he and I headed directly back to Novi Sad, and had English Conversation Group like usual. After that, for dinner, we had to show Elder McNeil the wonder that is the restaurant "Waffle Boss", since he didn't ever try it while he was here.

On Wednesday morning while contacting, we happened to end up talking to a lady that turned out to be a Jehovah's Witness. In my experience, the Witnesses are always willing to talk to you, haha. Anyway, that afternoon we had a great District Council with the sisters and the Nields at the Nields' place, and talked a little bit about what should happen next in this branch, since the Nields are also leaving, and the branch will probably be without a senior couple and without a branch president for up to a month. After that, on our walk back to the church, Elder McNeil and I stopped at a place called "Balans" to get some crepes. And when I say crepes, these ones are LOADED with fillings. It's crazy. Anyway, we had language study and whatever, and then our dear friend and 2nd-newest member "John" came for a lesson, and we re-taught the Plan of Salvation, which is God's plan for our eternal happiness. Cool stuff. A little bit later we had Chinese food for dinner, and discussed what might happen the next day with transfer announcements. In this mission (and perhaps other missions, but don't ask me) it's quite a big thing to try and predict where everyone will be serving for the next transfer (it's kinda like what people do with brackets for March Madness). So, I wrote out all of my predictions for the mission.


Thursday morning was transfer announcements! The Nields, the sisters, plus Elder McNeil and I were all at the church for this one, and it was announced over a huge video call with the whole mission. What a digital party, haha. In any case, it turns out that I'm being transferred to the United States, and my companion is yet to be determined, haha. In case you weren't aware, I'm at the end of my mission and I have a flight on Tuesday ;) Anyway, my prediction for the transfer had 49% of the missionaries exactly where they'll be for this next transfer. I'm pretty proud of that percentage. After that whole thing, we went to Bajka again to get some delicious pizza, and that's where Elder Bird and Elder Bradshaw again met up with us to switch back. That evening after English Conversation Group, I did another baptismal interview! This time for the sisters' investigator who I'll call "Sally". She's the one that stopped smoking cold-turkey so that she could be baptized (and before the Nields and I leave, even). She's really awesome. So, she passed the interview! That means 3 baptisms in Novi Sad within 1 month!

Friday started off with more business-y stuff, such as going to the Ministry of Internal Affairs (the MUP) to deregister visas for me, Sister Icke, and the Nields, since we're the ones leaving Novi Sad. We also had to take care of some bank stuff and other finance things for the branch. Paperwork! That afternoon the sisters got in the car with the Nields, and Elder Bird and I got on a bus so we could all go out and visit a pair of our members that live out of town a bit. Interestingly enough, one of the bus's tires blew as were on our way out there. So, the driver immediately pulled over, had everyone get off, and called his boss while we told the Nields and the sisters. Shortly thereafter, we found out that another bus had been sent to come pick everyone up and continue on, and it'd arrive in 30 minutes. Thankfully our other missionary friends arrived pretty quickly and drove us the rest of the way, so it wasn't actually too much of a problem. Anyway, the husband in that couple that we were going to visit is a musician at a restaurant "Atos" that's right on the edge of the Danube, so we went there for dinner with them, and got to hear him sing and play guitar. The food there was pretty good, by the way. One interesting thing, though, is that they apparently clean their fish differently here. So, as our native Serbian friends were eating, one of them pulled out the fish's entire spinal cord (which quite looks like a tapeworm or something of the sort) and ate it whole. That gave Sister Nield quite a shock, haha. In any case, after having that great meal with them, we traveled back to Novi Sad itself, had a mini lesson with "John", and then held another session of our Addiction Recovery Group. The same people that came last week came again, and we had a great discussion. Once we got back to the apartment that night, I packed a suitcase.


Saturday! We once again got up early and went to the church with Elder Nield to set up the baptismal font. When the font finally finished filling up, the sisters came to switch us out, and we went with Elder Nield to get some other stuff for the baptism. When we got back to the church, we had some burritos ordered from Tortilla Casa, and finished getting everything else ready for the baptism. We had another pretty good turnout, and the whole thing went really well. Elders McNeil and Bradshaw came down again from Belgrade, and Elder McNeil did the baptism this time. I played a special musical number on piano, and we had a great time socializing with everyone after the program. That evening I finally got a chance to properly start packing, and then for a "last supper" of sorts we went to Waffle Boss.


Sunday morning started off with more packing, since it was my last chance, haha. Elder Nield came to pick us up, and I loaded all of my suitcases into the car for us to drive to the church. We had the confirmation of our friend "Sally", and so she became the newest member of the Novi Sad branch, and received the gift of the Holy Ghost. We also had farewell testimonies from me, Sister Icke, and the Nields, since we four are the ones leaving Novi Sad this week. The Sisters had a special musical number, "God Be With You 'til We Meet Again", and that was great. A bit later, during Elders' Quorum, I had the opportunity to ordain "Shawn" to the Aaronic Priesthood. That's kinda a lot of fancy words, but it means that now he can bless the sacrament each week, or even baptize people if the opportunity arises. After church, we all had a big lunch together with our members and friends in the church, and it was a good opportunity to get to say bye to some people. I also had some paperwork stuff to take care of really quick, and then after all my goodbyes, Elder Bird and I headed out to Sremska Mitrovica. We quickly met up with Elders Heaton and Rosenvall (and the Deckers) and did a little switcharound. Elders Bird and Rosenvall went off to Belgrade to switch around some more with other missionaries that are staying, and Elder Heaton and I drove off to Zagreb. Our border crossing into Croatia was in the middle of nowhere. We had our interviews with President, and then stayed the night with the Assistants.



Today we've mostly been weighing luggage and stuff, and that's about it, haha. Anyway, I'm really short on time, so I should go!

For a spiritual thought thing, I'll just say that God loves us! That's why he sent his son, Jesus Christ, to be our Savior. So that we would know about Jesus Christ and how to better follow him, God sends prophets to teach us the gospel, warn us of sin, and help give us guidance. God sent prophets in the past, but he has also sent prophets in these days. Ancient prophets' writings are now scripture like the Bible and the Book of Mormon, and we can study modern prophets' words in General Conference. Whether it be through scriptures, living prophets, or prayer, we all need to have a connection with God. Having a connection with God will make your life better. It will give you greater peace even in hard times.

Well, here are some photos! This is my last email from the mission field, and my flight home is tomorrow, but I'll send another email after that to check up and give you all some contact info! Have a great week!
--
Elder Ryan Echols
Adriatic North Mission
Svačićev Trg 3/1
HR-10000 Zagreb
Croatia

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing some of your mission experiences each week with your blog. I have truly looked forward to them as has my mother. I would call her in South Carolina and read them to her.Glad you are back safely.

    ReplyDelete